Sunday, December 11, 2011

How Common Was This?

I learned today that a particularly barbaric form of human sacrifice was practiced in Peru before the time of the Incas.  The Chimu culture, like the Aztecs and the Mayas from Mexico, cut of the hearts of their victims, although they did this on children rather than on captive men. 

Human sacrifice is evil no matter what; but this Ripping-The-Heart-Out-Of-The-Victims-Chest-While-He's-Still-Alive method is especially cruel.  I don't even want  to imagine the level of pain it caused. 

My question is this: How common was this demonic Rip-It-Out method?  The Aztecs did it, the Maya did, and now I learn that the Chimu did it as well.  What made this form of human sacrifice so popular among these tribes?

If anyone has an answer, please let me know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment