Monday, December 26, 2011

David Daniels




I first heard this countertenor in 2007 when he sang the role of Orfeo in Glück's opera Orfeo ed Euridice.  His type is incredibly rare because the usual male voice is either are tenor, a baritone, or a bass.  You hardly ever find a grown male with an alto singing voice.

It has been four years since I first heard David Daniels.  This man is just astounding.  Because his voice-type is rare and he's amazing at what he does, he has made my list of absolute favorite singers.  I haven't heard him on the radio very much because he specializes in the Baroque repertoire and a lot of those pieces were written for castrati (yes, that means castrated.  It was done to achieve a permanent high male singing voice).  But given the lack of castrati in this day and age, those roles are usually sung by a female mezzo-soprano.  So I love it when David Daniels takes on one of those roles. 

I've visited his website.  If you haven't heard of this guy, then you've missed out on something awesome and you need to fix that.  Come on, don't tell me that this guy isn't great.  He's so awesome he can knock an opponent over with his voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment