Monday, May 21, 2012

Governor Dodge Adventure

Last Saturday was a perfect ending to a horrendously rough and confusing week.  My mother had organized a trip up Governor Dodge State Park for the Chinese kids.  I volunteered to drive because my mom can't right now (well, only for short distances, and even then, not so much).  We also listened to Juan Diego Florez on the way up. 

There were twelve Chinese who showed up.  We drove from Madison to Governor Dodge in two cars due to the relatively large number of people.  


When we got there, we had to get a park sticker (we hadn't been to the park in several years).  We got to the Cox Hollow Lake picnic area, set up our stuff, and then Mom and the others went down to the beach to look for rocks and smalls water creatures.  I stayed at the picnic table because I needed to rest, so I spent much of my time reading Walking With Prehistoric Beasts which is the companion book to the docu-drama Walking With Beasts (it's about the rise of mammals after the dinosaurs died out).  Meanwhile, the Chinese kids found and observed tadpoles.  


We had lunch around 12:30 and the Chinese kids spent another half hour at the beach before we packed up and went to Stevens Falls.  I spent most of the time at the falls wading.  I must say that due to the hot dry weather, the pool was half the size it was the last time I had been there, and a great deal muddier.  I kept struggling to keep my balance while I was wading, but it was still fun after all these years.  The Chinese kids kept on running up and down this fallen log and collecting tent caterpillars (we had to tell them to stop doing that after a while).  


After we were done at the falls, we all got back in the cars  and headed back to Madison (while listening to Piotr Beczala).  


A good time was had by all, and I hope sometime we'll get to do it again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment