Saturday, October 31, 2020

Ba'al

  He’d heard them calling on him all day. He’d heard them lashing themselves and leaping on the stones of the altar. The sacrifice was attracting daring flies, and the people were getting bored.

He turned over in bed. If that...woman had been more efficient, there wouldn’t be this problem. But she couldn’t get one measly prophet. The same prophet who’d called down a drought for three years. And was now taunting the priests for their inability to call down fire from Heaven.

“Let them yell all they want,” he said to himself, “I’ve had it with that bunch.” 


1 comment:

  1. “Lord of Rain and Dew” was a good gig. Barbecued beef and pork make my day, and watching the weekly fertility rituals is great fun. I knocked the others out of the running, but I let them have their temples too, just so I got to be Number One. And I was Number One, almost everywhere--but I knew better than to try to go toe to toe with Him!

    But that stupid woman must have believed my press releases! She dragged me into Israel. Nothing much happened at first. But then came that cursed drought, and I couldn’t do anything about it. He was mocking me, without even showing His face! The fire from heaven fiasco was just the icing on the cake.

    I wouldn’t be in this latrine if not for her.

    ReplyDelete