Friday, September 27, 2019

Church Music

My church has two different kinds of services on Sunday. One does contemporary styles, the other is more traditional; while it does not have a choir, does do the older hymns that (mostly) everyone knows and loves. I prefer the more traditional service, and I have been singing for it for the past few months.

The reasons why I prefer the traditional style are as follows:
1) Being a soprano, I am most comfortable when I can use my range. Granted most hymns don't go higher than "E" Natural, but the hymns allow for more freedom of range than the more contemporary styles of music. The latter usually features sudden octave jumps that tax my upper register. When it's not that, it's taxing on my lower register.

2) I can hear the congregation singing in the traditional service. I don't get that in the contemporary one. The music for contemporary service is too overpowering for me, I can hardly hear myself during worship! But there is only one piano in the traditional one, plus whatever other instruments people on worship team bring (we've got our own brass quartet!). 

3) The contemporary style makes worship feel less like worship and more like some popular concert, especially with the loud drums and emphasis on emotion. Making things worse is when worships leaders decide to to jazz up old hymns. Now that in itself is not bad, but the congregation has to be able to sing along. I remember getting so frustrated when the worship team did funky things to the notes and rhythm of a particular hymn that I shouted at them to leave the coloratura to Joyce DiDonato.
           With the traditional style, there is less noise to distract me. Maybe the occasional guy clapping on the off-beat, but that's only during the refrain of "Standing on the Promises" and that's only one guy.

In short, I find the traditional style of church music easier to sing. I know others will have differing opinions on this, and that's fine. I just find that contemporary music in worship gives me a major case of sensory overload, and that is not something I want in worship.

No comments:

Post a Comment