Thursday, November 22, 2018

One Year Later

 It's been a full year since Dmitri Hvorostovsky died, but it still hurts a little bit.  I never knew the man but I admired him very much.  So his death was still painful for me.  

I've talked before about when I first heard him and the various performances he was in that I went to see.  But I want to focus on just one of them right now, the last one I saw him in.  Ironically it was also the first time I had seen him live on the stage instead of in simulcasts.  Hearing Dima sing in a live auditorium is something that I will always remember, especially his final encore, Proshchay, radost (Farewell, happiness).  This simple folk song, sung without accompaniment, is a sentimental piece about a man saying good bye to his beloved.  Considering that Dima had terminal cancer at the time he did the recital at the Lyric, it was more than fitting that his last song that night was a farewell song.  I still remember that night every time I hear the song. 


When I heard he was going to do a recital at the Lyric, I knew I wouldn't get another chance to see Dmitri Hvorostovsky again, so I grabbed the opportunity to buy tickets and go see him.  I'm very glad I did, because that was the very last time I ever saw Dima perform.  And even though I never met him, I will still miss him very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment