Monday, October 1, 2018

Correction




Three years ago, I made a list of my Top 12 Favorite Male Opera Singers.  Juan Diego Florez was at the top with Dmitri Hvorostovsky and Kyle Ketelsen coming in second and third respectively.  This has become largely inaccurate.  While I still like JDF, it was Dima and Mr. Ketelsen who were tied for first place all along.  Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy all the singers on my list.  But when it comes to which one I get excited over the most, Dmitri Hvorostovsky and Kyle Ketelsen both come out on top.
     
 

 Dmitri Hvorostivsky was the one I gushed over the most even before I realized it, and I still do almost a year after his death.  I bought more of his recordings than of any other singer.  It was through Dima that I fell in love with opera back in 2007, and he still remains one of my biggest influences to this day.  However, as much as I loved seeing him Live in HD, I only had the pleasure of seeing him live onstage once.  



 

     Kyle. Ketelsen is the singer whom I have seen perform live the most.  This man lives in my hometown, in fact, I've even met him in person.  I have seen him perform in two operas, three recitals, and he even did a master class at my high school during my senior year.  I may have only heard him perform over the radio once, but it doesn't  matter when he gets perform IN MADISON!  

Sorting favorites as means of just keeping track of them doesn't always work in the long run.  Sometimes the one you thought was your absolute favorite may not have been at all.  Dmitri Hvorostovsky and Kyle Ketelsen were tied from the beginning, and I only recognized that this past month. 

No comments:

Post a Comment