Sunday, April 27, 2014

Mozart's Music

Why must it take me several weeks before I post something like this?  

I heard this a few weeks ago; the Madison Symphony Orchestra performed Mozart's famous Requiem.  It was unfinished at the time of his death and was finished by Franz Xaver Süssmayr (sorry Amadeus fans, it was not Salieri).  

This was the first time I heard mezzo-soprano Daniela Mack perform.  I knew she was performing with Madison Opera, but I never heard her (actually, I was at Governor Dodge State Park the day Madison Opera did a broadcast recording of her performance in La Cenerentola).  But her voice is something else.  

I have already given the basic overview of the various components of a typical Reqiuem, but I must say if there is one part of the work that is very much of interest to many people, it is the Dies Irae.  This part of the work focuses on the Last Judgement and is plea for mercy and deliverance from Hell.  

I suggest getting it out.   

No comments:

Post a Comment