Friday, May 10, 2013

Mariusz Kwiecien




I first heard this singer in the current Met production of Donizetti's psychological masterpiece Lucia di Lammermoor in '08 (at least I think it was him).  I was looking at YouTube videos of the Mad Scene and I was startled to see Enrico looking quite handsome, this Polish baritone was singing the role.  In the production I saw in May of '08, Enrico looked like Shaggy Beard in Cathrine Called Birdie.  The one from the Met set the story in the Victorian era and made it out to be a ghost story (which makes me think Mary Zimmerman should have renamed it The Curse of the Fountain or something like that).  

It has been five years since I first heard Mariusz Kwiecien sing.  I actually got to see him live in February of 2010 at Lyric Opera of Chicago when he sang the role of the Count in Le Nozze di Figaro alongside Kyle Ketelsen.  I have also heard him as the strutting peacock Belcore in L'Elisir d'AmoreI have also seen him a bunch of times on YouTube in various roles, the one that sticks out to me the most is the title role in Mozart's Don Giovanni.  Next season he will sing the title role in Tchaikovsky's Eugene Onegin alongside Anna Netrebko and Piotr Beczala.  

I have seen his website.  This is one amazing barihunk.  While I don't particularly like people talking about seeing him with his shirt off, I still think he's hot.  And I still say that if you haven't heard of or seen him, fix that.  Now. And I still say his voice can kill an opponent in mortal combat. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment