Thursday, September 8, 2016

Johan Botha: 1965 to 2016




South African tenor Johan Botha died untimely at the age of 51 earlier today.  Let's just say that I'm glad I got to see him when I did.  While he was known for such roles as Calaf in Turandot or Florestan in Fidelio, I'll always remember him the title roles of Otello and Tannhäuser.  He was what is known as a Heldentenor or "Hero Tenor", a very heavy tenor voice for which such roles as Siegfried and Tristan are written.  

I do regret that this guy is gone.  He was an amazing singer and I was looking forward to hearing more from him.  It's one thing when a famous person goes in their old age after a long life, but it's a completely different thing when someone dies in the middle of their career.  May his soul forever rest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment