Tuesday, May 8, 2012

HOLY SHRAPNEL!

Well, this Professional Cooking final exam will certainly be fixed in my head for the rest of my life.  I had never ever seen a pan of fish go up in flames right in front of my face!  I had marinated some fish fillets in wine and had put one of them on the pan.  I used too much oil and I didn't blot the first fillet after marinating it.   The next thing I know, there's a fireball right in front of my face (luckily no one was hurt and the fish didn't burn).  I'd forgotten how volatile alcohol is.  We put out the fire and I blotted the second fillet (no fires started when I put in on the pan).  Nonetheless, my instructor deducted points off of my score for that and actually wrote "Tried to set the kitchen on fire" on my rubric!

1 comment:

  1. Just a timing issue. The presentation is where you want the flambe.

    ReplyDelete