Sunday, April 8, 2012

Piotr Beczala




I think I first heard this Polish tenor sing back in 2009 when he sang the role of Vladimir Lensky in Eugene Onegin.  I was seventeen and the opera was already one of my favorites.  I think in that one Thomas Hampson was Onegin and Karita Mattila was Tatyana. 

It has been three years since I first heard Piotr Beczala* sing in that opera.  He also sang the role of Edgardo in Lucia di Lammermoor that same season.  And then yesterday he sang the role of Des Grieux in Massenet's Manon.  I just love him.  And he's somewhat versatile; singing not only the classic Lyric tenor roles (e.g. Faust, Rodolfo in La Boheme, The Duke of Mantua in Rigoletto, etc.) but I think he also did some Wagner at one point.  

I've been to the website about him.  If you haven't heard him sing yet, that has to be fixed.  Now.  This guy has such a good voice that he can kill an opponent in a fight just by hitting a high note.

*Pronounced: PYOH-tehr Behk-SHA-wah

No comments:

Post a Comment